Relabelling is completely optional, but we always recommend it to both new and established stores and even we'd go as far as to say if you're serious about making your brand a success it's not really optional at all!
So, which products can have printed labels?
The rule of thumb is that label printing is limited to t-shirts. There are some exceptions, but for the most part it's just t-shirts.
Hoodies and sweatshirts are always lined with either a fleecy or heavily woven material that we simply can't print onto. Other products (vests, kids clothing etc) are too small to fit correctly on our label printing pallet, or don't have a large enough space available for printing.
If a label can be printed into the garment you're looking at then you'll have the option to add one, and likewise if a label can't be printed then you won't be able to add one. If in doubt, get in touch with our support team!
DTG printed labels (+ £1.51 per garment)
We print all labels using our DTG technology in exactly the same way that we print most garments. A fixation solution is applied to the inside neck before it's printed and then passed through a tunnel dryer to cure the ink and evaporate the fixation solution.
You'll need to source your label designs yourself, much like you would your print files. The same file type necessary for DTG printing is required for your DTG labels: a 300ppi PNG saved in RGB colour mode.
Which brands are best to re-label?
We always recommend Stanley/Stella or Continental Clothing, but all brands can be relabelled in some way.
- Stanley/Stella - All of their products are manufactured with only a sizing label in the neck. Any details legally required is contained in a label sewn into the side seam.
- Continental Clothing - As with Stanley/Stella, all of their products are also manufactured with only a sizing label in the neck. Any details legally required is contained in a label sewn into the side seam.
- Skinnifit - These products are manufactured with a mixture of removable and non-removable branded neck-label. It varies by product. Where possible, we will remove the Skinnifit label before shipping if you've opted for a printed label. Again, any information required by law is included on a label sewn into the side seam.
- Anvil - Anvil manufactures garments with tear-away labels so we can remove these and leave the required legal information on an unbranded label inside the neck. For these branded labels to be removed you'll need to opt for your own printed label.
- AWDis - These garments are manufactured with tear-away labels which can be removed without compromising the legal information required by law. However, since we can't print DTG labels in AWDis garments (all hoodies and sweatshirts have an unprintable lining) we wouldn't be able to remove these tear-away labels before shipping.
- Bella Canvas – Bella Canvas manufacture most of their products just like Anvil and AWDis, meaning their tear-away branded labels can be removed if you've opted for a printed label. The required information will be included on an unbranded label in the neck. Some of Bella Canvas's products can't have their labels removed due to the way they're manufactured. These include the Bella Flowy Boxy T-Shirt, Bella Flowy Long Sleeve T-Shirt and Bella Flowy Racer Back Tank Top.
- Gildan - These products are manufactured with two labels in the neck, but only one can be removed. The second label contains the required legal information so it has to remain untouched.
- Re-branding children's clothing - Unfortunately, we can't re-label any clothing for kids. We can't DTG print labels in hoodies and sweatshirts anyway because of the fluffy lining, but the garments are also too small to allow for any labels to be printed.
Details to include in your DTG label
The maximum printing size for a label is 8 x 8cm, though we recommend sticking to around 6 x 6cm.
If your file is larger than 8 x 8cm it'll be printed to the maximum size possible. We'll always print to the size you upload, so if you want a label at 4 x 8cm just upload it at this size to your account. The details we recommend you include in your label are:
- Garment size
- Fabric (i.e. 100% cotton)
- Care instructions (Wash at 30, inside out. Do not tumble dry, do not iron directly over the print)
Here's an example. Your labels don't need to look anything like ours, it's just to give you an idea of what you should aim for: