'... but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes'.
Benjamin Franklin knew what was up, and that was over 200 years ago. That being said, there's a couple of scenarios where you don't have to pay VAT (though we'd advise continuing to pay your other taxes... y'know, just in case).
Value Added Tax
If you're a UK citizen you're likely very familiar with VAT by now. Strangely we're not really taught about it in school, but you can't avoid it once you're thrown out of the family home and left to fend for yourself.
Value Added Tax is a tax applied to almost every product and service sold in the UK based on its value. Currently it's set at 20%, though it might change in the future. And it's applicable to the products and services offered by Inkthreadable.
When do I need to pay VAT?
Whether or not you need to pay Value Added Tax depends on where your billing address is at the time you place your order, and if you're a VAT registered company.
You need to pay if you have a:
- UK billing address - plus 20% on all orders (already included in the price) regardless of shipping destination;
- EU billing address - plus 20% on all orders (already included in the price) regardless of shipping destination;
- INT billing address - plus 20% on all orders shipping to the EU.
You don't need to pay if you have an:
- EU billing address with valid VAT number IF the items are being delivered outside of the UK - 20% reversed charged (will automatically be deducted from charged prices) regardless of shipping destination;
- INT billing address - No VAT charged on orders shipping outside of the EU (will automatically be deducted from charged prices).
If you have a valid VAT number you can let us know through your Profile Page. There's a field titled VAT no underneath your billing address.